Sunday 5 April 2015

Speech to Hope not Hate


I don’t follow football, I have no interest in football, I have never played football.

Why am I telling you this?

Because, when I was seven years old this made me different, because I wouldn’t give in and join the crowd I was marked out as different, not normal someone to be bullied.

I didn’t feel that I was the same as other boys, I knew something was different.

I was different and I wouldn’t play by the rules.

At 13 realised why I felt different, I wasn’t interested in watching Pans People on Top of the Pops, I was more interested in David Bowie.

But there were no role models for me to follow.

People noticed and the bullying started again.

Being called a shirt lifter, bum bandit, queer every day wears you down; at 13 you want to conform you don’t want to be different.

Growing up in Northern Ireland in the 1970’s being told by the Political and religious leaders of your Country that you destined to burn in hell, that you are unnatural, that it’s illegal to feel the way you do forces you to get out or give in to the bullies and to conform to being someone you know is not true.

I conformed I gave in and tried to be like everyone else.

It took me to the age of 22 before I met
other Gay people in Belfast, I learned an important lesson there is strength in numbers, working together gives you strength and determination to stand up to bullies and to stand up for your rights and to follow what you feel is right.

Demonstrating, petitioning, arguing,lobbying  does bring change and in the last 30 years the lives of LGBT people in the UK have changed hugely.

But so much remains to be done in securing rights for the LGBT community, and ensuring we can live lives free from violence, intimidation, and secrecy.

In 2015 we still have children in Schools in this City who are being bullied because of their sexuality.

In England we have Schools who still think it’s illegal to teach about same sex relationships, in Northern Ireland if you are openly Gay you cannot work in half the Schools paid for by the State.

The current Government’s policy for LGBT asylum seekers instead of sending a message that all citizens are to be treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sexual orientation, the message currently being sent by our Government is that it is acceptable to exclude people on the grounds of their sexuality and that their sexual preferences need to be proved by intrusive questioning

I never dreamt that I could legalise my relationship with my male partner, I never thought that it would become almost acceptable to be LGBT and not have people comment on it.

At just after midnight on the 29th March 2014 the City of Sheffield made history, this time and date will forever be written in the memories of all those who witnessed the first same sex marriage of Kyle and Richie in the glorious surroundings of the Town Hall.

This was the latest step forward by Sheffield on the road to full equality for LGBT people and towards the City creating a safe and equal future for all the LGBT people of Sheffield.

As with every major human rights advance, from the abolition of slavery to allowing women to vote, future generations will look back and wonder how anyone could have opposed such a basic human right as equality for all people regardless of colour, race, creed or sexuality.


The fight against homophobia is a core part of the broader battle for human rights for all. Its sits alongside the long-standing work of this Council to eliminate racism and promote gender equality. We want a City that is that is free and equal, and we can only honour that promise if everyone – without exception – enjoy the protection they deserve.

This Council is committed to protect everyone from discrimination on grounds of their sexual orientation and gender identity. Public education is also essential to challenge negative stereotypes and promote greater understanding.

For generations, LGBT people in this City have been subject to hate crimes on account of their sexual orientation and gender identity. We have been treated with contempt, derision and discrimination. We have been made to
feel anything but free and equal. Such inequalities impede development and progress for society as a whole.

For far too long, our suffering was met with silence in the halls of power. As the Councillor charged with leading on LGBT issues I am committed to raising my voice. Along with many committed partners, we are working to elevate this struggle and draw greater attention to the specific challenges facing the LGBT people of this City. I appreciate all those who support this effort and call on others to engage.

Ending homophobia is a matter of personal security, dignity and even survival for countless individuals. It is also a long-term endeavour – one that I believe is critical to the future of Sheffield.

I thank you for your commitment to the cause of equality and fairness with the force of our conviction; let us continue working for a City of true freedom and equality for all.

No comments: